Boston United in talks with released Gainsborough Trinity striker Leon Mettam
BOSTON UNITED have joined the race to sign former Gainsborough Trinity striker Leon Mettam.
The striker has been released by the Blues despite netting 14 goals for the Blue Square Bet North play-off finalists last season.
Mettam revealed Pilgrims boss Jason Lee was one of the first managers on the phone after he severed ties with the Northolme club.
"I do have a few irons in the fire and I am talking to clubs, some at a higher level and some in the same league," said the former Lincoln City striker, who scored against the Pilgrims in the Blues' 2-1 victory at York Street last month.
Get hi lites or low lites and a cut & blowdry with Hannah or Daniel between 10th and 14th December for only £40.00 please contact the salon for more details, just let us know its with this voucher.
Terms: terms and conditions apply and limited spaces
Contact: 01522 305178
Valid until: Saturday, December 14 2013
"In fact I've had a call from Jason Lee, who asked me not to sign anything until he gets back from holiday.
"But that doesn't mean I will be going there. I will be talking to a few teams over the next few weeks."
Mettam's tally of 14 goals this season is impressive considering he made just 13 starts. The 25-year-old was used primarily as an impact player by Trinity manager Steve Housham and is looking to nail down a regular first-team place at his next club.
"It was kind of a joint decision really," said Mettam.
"I had spoken to Houshy (Steve Housham) and the chairman (Peter Swann) a while ago about wanting to start more games.
"I will miss the players at Gainsborough. We were like a little family there, but good things come to an end and it's onwards and upwards."
Meanwhile, leading scorer Marc Newsham and key midfielder Ian Ross have penned new deals with the club.