Businessman is fined £1,200 for food safety breaches at Ye Olde Crowne pub in Lincoln
A businessman has been fined £1,200 plus £1,526 costs for persistent food safety failings at Ye Olde Crowne pub in Lincoln, despite repeated warnings.
Lincoln Magistrates' Court heard complaints of under-cooked food and contaminated salad sparked an investigation. No-one fell ill.
City of Lincoln Council officials found dead flies in the cellar and flies feeding on toast in the kitchen during one visit.
Inspections revealed raw meat stored next to shellfish, out-of-date food, a filthy kitchen and poor hand washing facilities.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
And it emerged that Christopher Regan, 23, the food business operator responsible for food safety, had not undertaken food hygiene training.
He has since completed an online course but the council has raised concerns that he completed it in just under five hours, rather than the expected eight or nine hours.
Mr Regan, of Witham Wharf, Lincoln, admitted five counts of failing to comply with or contravening a food hygiene notice between March 30, 2012 and October 1, 2012.
The food safety rating of the premises after three inspections was zero.
The court heard part of the problem had been due to staff who managed the premises at the time, who have since left.
"Mr Regan recognises he's the business operator and the buck stops with him," said defence lawyer Jon Payne.
James Ellis, prosecuting for the council, told the court: "The council most recently inspected on February 4 at Mr Regan's request.
"There were signs of improvement. There was also evidence of further non-compliance with food safety legislation."
After the case, Mr Regan told the Echo: "I am now well on board with food safety and we have a new management team in place.
"We are moving forward and the public should be confident that they can eat safely at the premises.
"We are now looking at a five rating when we are re-rated."
Louise Harding, environmental health officer, said: "The safety of customers is of the utmost importance to us as a council.
"We have tried to work with Mr Regan to help him to comply with the law but unfortunately there was persistent non-compliance with food safety requirements.
"Where this happens the council will not hesitate to take legal proceedings to ensure the safety of the public."