Council tax reforms 'will hit seasonal workers on Lincolnshire coast the hardest'
COUNCIL tax reform plans could detrimentally affect seasonal workers on the coast, according to councillors.
Skegness Town Council voted to ask East Lindsey District Council to lobby the Government against plans to abolish the national council tax benefit scheme.
The shake-up would see local authorities set up their own council tax support scheme to take effect from April 1, next year.
East Lindsey District Council is currently consulting on the plans.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
East Lindsey's proposal includes reducing the amount of council tax support they pay to working age households in the district.
Council tax benefit to working age claimants will continue to be means tested but the amount of award would be limited to 75 per cent of the entitlement, meaning the householders would have to pay the remaining 25 per cent.
This will not apply to pensioners or war pensioners.
Skegness Mayor Mark Anderson said: "Seasonal employees, which make up a vast majority of the townspeople will be hard hit.
"I really am concerned in helping seasonal employees. These are people who work and keep our economy going in Skegness."
Councillor Steve Kirk said East Lindsey should be treated as a special case.
Councillor Phil Kemp said only awarding up to 75 per cent is "absolutely immoral."
The other changes are aimed at owners of vacant homes, including a rule that owners of homes that are left empty for six months or more will pay 100 per cent council tax, going up to 150 per cent if it is left empty for more than two years.