Gas Safety Week awareness event in Lincoln
The third annual Gas Safety Week takes place in Lincoln next week with the aim of raising gas safety awareness.
The City of Lincoln Council has pledged its support and will be working with Aaron Services to hold safety events at City Hall.
These will cover safety recommendations for all installations, in particular, the fitting of cookers.
The demonstrations are on Tuesday, September 17 from 9am to -2pm.
SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL LUXE OIL uses a reconstructive Transform Technology that benefits hair inside and out, while protecting it from damage:
Terms: Whilst stocks last.
Contact: 01522 303163
Valid until: Tuesday, December 31 2013
Staff will be on hand to discuss any gas safety related matters.
A quarter of a million illegal jobs are carried out every year by people who do not have the skills or qualifications to do the job safely.
If left untouched, poorly serviced appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.
In the last year alone, 333 people nationally were injured and four people died due to gas related incidents.
Graeme Twell, the council's gas contracts surveyor, said: “We’re pledging our support for Gas Safety Week and doing our bit to raise awareness of gas safety issues among the public in Lincoln so they know what steps they can take to keep themselves safe.”
Russell Kramer, chief executive for Gas Safe Register, said: “Every year, far too many people suffer from preventable gas related accidents, such as gas leaks, explosions, fires and carbon monoxide poisoning.
“Through Gas Safety Week we want to encourage the public to only use Gas Safe registered engineers to fit, fix and service their gas appliances and to raise awareness of the importance of having an annual safety check.”
Gas appliances should be checked and serviced annually by a registered fitter, and landlords need to arrange this for tenants.
Warning signs that appliances aren’t working correctly include lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
The signs of carbon monoxide poisoning are headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness, and people are advised to have an alarm fitted.
People should always check their engineer’s Gas Safe Register identification.
To check an engineer is registered visit www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.