Increase in Lincolnshire youngsters taken into council care
The number of children put into care has increased in Lincolnshire.
According to figures, 291 children were removed from the care of both parents between 2012-13 – compared to 233 over the previous 12 months.
And cases of recorded neglect among children have soared from six in 2011-12 to 135 in 2012-13.
Lincolnshire County Council says the increases are because of variations in how information is recorded.
Get hi lites or low lites and a cut & blowdry with Hannah or Daniel between 10th and 14th December for only £40.00 please contact the salon for more details, just let us know its with this voucher.
Terms: terms and conditions apply and limited spaces
Contact: 01522 305178
Valid until: Saturday, December 14 2013
Stuart Carlton, assistant director for children's services at Lincolnshire County Council, told the Echo: "The figures show there has been an increase in the number of children suffering from neglect in Lincolnshire since last year.
"The difficulty is the criteria recording the reasons varies from one year to the next with differences in which categories are used for recordings.
"Another recording change is that where children are placed with other family members like their grandparents rather than actually taken away from families, we have to record this as placed in care as well which wasn't the case before.
"There is no single cause for neglect. Mental health, domestic violence, substance misuse and poverty are among the factors linked to neglect.
"So it is very difficult to compare this year from last. Cases counted as neglect this year may have been counted as something else last year."
Figures also suggest the number of physical harm cases between parents and their children has risen from none last year to 46 this year.
And the same statistics reveal cases of sexual harm have more than doubled from seven in 2011-12 to 15 in 2012-13.
The number of homeless or evicted children being put into care has decreased from 20 in 2011-12 to seven in 2012-13.
Cases involving emotional harm have also been trimmed from 84 to 57 over the same time period.
Parental requests for respite have dropped significantly from 36 to none at all in 2012-13.
The authority admits social workers have been made more aware of abuse indicators following the report into Baby P was disclosed in 2010.
Mr Carlton added: "Social workers are more aware of indicators of abuse when intervening to protect vulnerable children following the events concerning the Baby P case.
"Children across all ages are admitted into local authority care. However, the predominant group appears to be children aged two years or under.
"Lincoln in particular continues to be an area of high care admissions. But this is not a surprise considering Lincoln is a big city and includes some deprivation areas."