Landlord failed to put right hazardous home in Skegness
A SKEGNESS landlord has been served a Prohibition Order for failing to maintain his property to an acceptable standard.
The order, served by East Lindsey District Council, means that no-one can live at 35 Wainfleet Road until the issues are resolved.
In 2010, tenants at the property contacted the council to say the living conditions weren’t acceptable and following an inspection by the district council an Improvement Notice was issued on Michael Sunnooman of Deal Road, Tooting in London, who owns the property.
Portfolio holder for housing councillor William Gray said: “We will not allow people to live in properties that are below the acceptable standard and putting people at risk of harm.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
“It is simply not right that tenants should live with unsafe electrics, no fire alarm system and an unmaintained gas boiler, which could be life threatening.”
The Improvement Notice asked that a number of hazards at the address were dealt with, including unsafe electrics, lack of fire detection system, damp and mould and lack of certificates to show that gas appliances were being properly maintained.
After failing to comply with the Improvement Notice Mr Sunnooman was taken to court by ELDC where he pleaded guilty and was ordered to pay a fine and costs.
Since then the council has continued to encourage Sunnooman to complete the work to resolve the issues for tenants but many still remain outstanding, these include a lack of required improvements to the electrical system to meet safety requirements, the gas appliances have still not been tested and the landlord has failed to install any form of fire alarm system.
Mr Gray added: “Those people living in the property prior to the Prohibition Order being served have now been assisted to secure alternative accommodation.
“This should be a timely reminder to all landlords that it is important that they fulfil their duty to tenants by ensuring they are safe in their home.”
Landlords should be reminded that where a property has gas appliances, it is a legal requirement that they are inspected annually by a Gas Safe registered contractor.
Failure to do so could result in enforcement action being taken by both the district council and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).