Lincoln family wants protection from cars after 4x4 crashes into garden
Residents have launched an online petition to demand a stronger crash barrier is installed after a car plunged 9ft from a road into two gardens in Lincoln.
The out-of-control Volvo, driven by a 37-year-old woman with two children on board, knocked over traffic lights in Canwick Road before crashing through metal railings and a barrier into the gardens in Kingsway.
Lisa Harvey Cowley and daughter Bethany, one, were not at home at the time but her husband Andrew had been sitting in the garden just 30 minutes earlier.
And neighbour Lucy Mackenzie and son Tyler, four, were upstairs next door.
Get hi lites or low lites and a cut & blowdry with Hannah or Daniel between 10th and 14th December for only £40.00 please contact the salon for more details, just let us know its with this voucher.
Terms: terms and conditions apply and limited spaces
Contact: 01522 305178
Valid until: Saturday, December 14 2013
No-one was hurt in the incident which happened at about 4pm on August 19.
Lincolnshire County Council has since put in a temporary plastic barrier but says there are currently no plans to install a concrete barrier.
The authority says this is because there is no record of any similar crashes in the area. Mrs Harvey Cowley said: "For the council to suggest there is no need for a stronger barrier because there is no record of accidents is total nonsense in light of what has occurred – it shows complete insensitivity to us as innocent victims of this crash.
"A serious incident has already occurred and prevention for the future needs sorting out properly now.
"The damaged barrier section has been removed and there is no protection at all to stop vehicles leaving the road should they do so, only a flimsy hi-vis plastic barrier on the footpath to prevent pedestrians falling 9ft into our garden.
"Before this incident, our family felt safe in our home, spending many happy hours in our garden. Now we do not.
"Unless there is a barrier of sufficient strength to protect us and, far better, to prevent cars and HGVs doing similar in future, I will always be at unease to use our garden again."
Councillor Richard Davies, executive member for highways and transportation at Lincolnshire County Council, said: "I completely understand Mrs Cowley's concerns but the circumstances that surround this accident were unique.
"We will replace the steel safety fence as soon as possible but we do not intend to install a concrete barrier.
"You've got to look at the bigger picture here. There were four fatal road deaths in Lincolnshire last month and 38 serious injuries.
"If we don't make evidence based decisions we end up in all kinds of trouble.
"The limited budget we have must be spent at sites that have a track-record of accidents so we can reduce these casualty figures."
To sign the petition, visit www.ipetitions.com/petition/ stronger-crash-barrier/