Poison warning as three dogs die after walks on Lincoln's West Common
Dog owners are being warned to take extra care while walking their pets on Lincoln's West Common after three died of suspected poisoning.
All three animals are believed to have eaten poisoned wildlife - the bones or carcasses of dead rabbits, voles or birds - which have been killed on the common in the past fortnight.
Now Fern Ember, who runs Happy Paws Dog Training from her home in the city, and grieving owner Rachael Constable have each issued warnings.
"Please be extra vigilant with your dogs if you walk on West Common or on the golf course off Carholme Road," said Mrs Ember, of Oakleigh Terrace.
Get hi lites or low lites and a cut & blowdry with Hannah or Daniel between 10th and 14th December for only £40.00 please contact the salon for more details, just let us know its with this voucher.
Terms: terms and conditions apply and limited spaces
Contact: 01522 305178
Valid until: Saturday, December 14 2013
"Three dogs have died with severe gastric symptoms and convulsions in the last two weeks.
"We know that the second dog picked up a raw bone the morning that she died, and that it looked as if it was probably a rabbit bone.
"The third, a greyhound, had also eaten a rabbit carcass.
"All dog walkers are warned to keep their dogs on leads and away from any dead animals on the common or surrounding areas such as the golf course.
"Can we ask you to take two carrier-bags/dustbin liners with you if you walk in these areas?
"If you come across a rabbit corpse, please pick it up and contact me on 07920 018038. One of the Happy Paws team will come and pick it up from you.
"We need a toxicology report on any carcasses. If you can't bear to take it home, please at least throw it in one of the bins around the common so that no other dog is at risk.
"Poisoning results in vomiting of the entire stomach contents and the dog will deteriorate within a couple of hours, with its organs shutting down.
"If your dog goes down hill after vomiting, seek immediately veterinary treatment."
Student occupational therapist Rachael Constable, 30, from Saxon Street in lincoln, saw her two-year-old Labrador cross Stanley die in agony four days after he ate a rabbit bone on the common.
"I worked at the Newmarket Equine Hospital at Newmarket for two years and when Stanley went into seizure I knew he'd been poisoned," said Miss Constable.
"Then I heard two other dogs had died after walking on the common and I saw the dead rabbits, birds and voles for myself.
"I just want to warn other dog owners about the dangers."