Rejected plans to develop The Lawn in Lincoln to be revealed to the public
Plans to transform a Lincoln landmark which were rejected by City Hall, will be revealed to the public.
Jonathan Pass, attempted to buy The Lawn complex earlier this year.
His vision was to turn the former mental hospital, in Union Road, into a hotel, restaurant, bar and conference centre.
It also included the refurbishment of the Sir Joseph Banks Conservatory.
NEED A NEW BOILER OR NEW LUXURY BATHROOM ??? THEN READ OUR...View details
IF YOUR LOOKING TO REPLACE YOUR BOILER OR BATHROOM, THEN CALL P & P PLUMBING. WE OFFER, A, FULL DESIGN, SUPPLY & INSTALLATION SERVICE. SO TAKE A FEW MINUTES TO READ OUR REVIEWS, & THEN GIVE US A CALL.
Terms: TS & CS APPLY
Contact: 01472 803004
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
But his offer was rejected last month by City of Lincoln Council executive councillors.
"Obviously I am disappointed our proposal hasn't progressed at this stage," said Mr Pass.
"But the whole team behind the plan is absolutely convinced this is the right way forward to not only preserve this historic complex but to ensure it has a successful future.
"Our plan means the building and its grounds being more accessible to the public than it currently is.
"But we haven't given up on the vision. We hope the public meeting will give us a chance to explain in detail to all interested parties what we had planned.
"Meanwhile, we will try to keep an open dialogue with the council.
"It is not a case of going out looking for support. People know about the bid process but don't know about the details of my bid. This meeting is about letting the public know what we saw as a solution to the problems the building will face.
"The building is becoming empty and the next stage will be demolition, so letting people see what we wanted to do with it feels right. Getting the message out about our bid is what this is all about.
"I still passionately believe that this development will be good for the economy of the city, good for the people of the city and good for The Lawn's long-term future."
The complex was built in 1820 and closed in 1985. The City of Lincoln Council bought it a year later for £425,000.
The new scheme would also see luxury VIP accommodation and health and beauty suite and redevelopment of the shops.
The planning, architectural and conservation experts who put together the new proposal, as well as Mr Pass himself, will be on hand to explain the detail of the scheme.
Detailed drawings and artists' impressions will also be on display and visitors will be able to question the team on their plans for the site.
Mr Pass's plans for the new-look hotel and conference complex include restoring many of the building's original features and creating an outdoor plaza with seating and landscaping.
The proposal includes a formal restaurant, a bistro and a public bar – each with its own entrance and open to city residents – and the refurbishment of the Sir Joseph Banks Conservatory.
Around 30 new jobs would be created.
Jonathan Roberts of John Roberts Architects said: "I'm surprised and disappointed this proposal wasn't accepted.
"In my opinion this was the best possible option for the future of the Lawn."
The open meeting, which takes place on Monday, September 3, at 6pm in the Charlotte House Hotel, is open to everyone and will consist of a presentation of Mr Pass's proposals and a question and answer session.