School crossing in Lincoln 'is 'most dangerous' in the county
A school crossing in Lincoln has been branded "the worst in the county" after a lollipop man was hit by a car for the third time in five months.
The Echo reported last month how David Ellis, 41, had fallen victim to a second hit-and-run outside Monks Abbey Primary School.
Now, a resident in Milman Road is calling for highways bosses to re-think their policy and introduce new safety measures in the east end of the city following a third accident.
The first accident was in May when Mr Ellis was hit by a car and broke his hand.
Get hi lites or low lites and a cut & blowdry with Hannah or Daniel between 10th and 14th December for only £40.00 please contact the salon for more details, just let us know its with this voucher.
Terms: terms and conditions apply and limited spaces
Contact: 01522 305178
Valid until: Saturday, December 14 2013
He then suffered bruises to one of his legs and was badly shaken following a similar case in September.
Lincolnshire Police is now investigating again after Mr Ellis was clipped when trying to help a parent cross the busy road.
Hundreds of children attending Monks Abbey School are in the area during peak times.
John Siddle, spokesman for Lincolnshire Road Safety Partnership, said: "We have never known a school patrolling crossing like this one.
"It has to be the worst in the county. Cases like this are just unprecedented and it is quite shocking.
"The level of abuse David Ellis is receiving is terrible and drivers are simply not sticking to the rules.
"We appreciate that people are busy and in a hurry to get to places but the driving of some people in this residential area is crazy.
"Mr Ellis' luck will only hold out for so long.
"He is in a very precarious position.
"This is a real spot for children and their parents and motorists need to drive responsibly before something very, very serious happens."
Echo reader Neil Sharpe lives on nearby Milman Road.
He said: "I now watch out of my window with the telephone, ready to call the emergency services.
"Since the Echo reported the story about David Ellis getting hit for a second time I have witnessed at least three more incidents – one involving a parent."
Lincolnshire County Council's principal highways officer, Jeanne Gibson, said: "I would like to urge all motorists to drive with exceptional care on this road.
"We are carrying out some further road safety measures including refreshing the lines on the road, possible repositioning of the flashing lights on the approach to the junction, and using more distinctive yellow backing boards for the signs, so they stand out more clearly to motorists."
Meanwhile, Lincolnshire Police is appealing for witnesses.
Anyone who saw the incident is urged to call the non-emergency number, 101.
Police spokesman James Newall said: "We are talking about a repeat victim which makes this a real priority."