Sewage water damage ruins Christmas for villagers in Swinderby
Villagers say Christmas was ruined when their homes were swamped by water mixed with sewage.
People living in Eagle Road in Swinderby tried desperately to save their possessions as the foul smelling liquid filled their ground floor rooms.
Fire crews were then called to pump water away from the house.
Residents are now being forced to throw away thousands of pounds of items that were contaminated by the mix of raw sewage and rain water.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
Gardens were also flooded in Station Road, after plumes of sewage burst from a manhole.
Workers from Severn Trent Water used tankers to remove excess fluid from a pumping station, between Friday, December 21 and Boxing Day.
Margaret Broadfoot, 46, of Eagle Road, said carpets and appliances in two newly decorated rooms were ruined.
"It was coming through the floorboards," she said. "It was a nightmare.
"I've got a pot on my leg with an open wound and because it was contaminated I had to go to the hospital to get it re-done.
"We just completely cancelled Christmas.
"We had friends coming round but we had to go to my parents.
"We worked hard to have these rooms how we want them and it's just gone.
"I was just devastated.
"My partner's dad put the floor down for us and it broke my heart when I saw them ripping it up."
Gordon Chennells, 84, of Station Road, said fumes from the sewage were coming into his home through sinks and toilets.
"It smells terrible," he said. "We have to let the smells out through the window."