Fire at Skegness flats sparked by drunk's cigarette
A DRUNK started a fire in a block of bedsit flats after dropping a lit cigarette, Lincoln Crown Court has been told.
David Sylvester, who had been drinking for 12 hours, called at the multi-occupancy building in Lumley Avenue, Skegness hoping to see a friend.
Julie Warburton, prosecuting, said that Sylvester received no answer when he knocked on the man's door.
Before leaving he dropped the lit cigarette which set alight to rubbish bags and a carpet causing a small fire.
Feel Good Tuesdays only £39 for two treatments ( at lincoln town...View details
choose 2 of the following treatments :
Geleration Hands or Feet,
minx nails ,
30m pedicure or manicure,
Spray Tan ,
Terms: Subject to availability. only at Lincoln town centre Medi Spa
Contact: 01522 305295
Valid until: Sunday, June 01 2014
Sylvester went to his mother's house nearby before ringing 999 to alert the fire service.
Miss Warburton said "There was some damage to the carpet. Forensic evidence also confirmed burn damage to one of the cuffs of the clothing he was wearing."
Sylvester, 29, of Rutland Road, Skegness, admitted a charge of reckless arson on December 17, 2011. He was given a nine-month jail sentence suspended for two years with 12 months supervision.
Recorder Timothy Spencer QC told him: "Fortunately this fire did not spread very far and to your credit it was you who dialled 999. This is a last chance for you."