Sleaford Town FC issue statement after FA charge
Sleaford Town FC have responded after the club was today charged by the Football Association over last weekend's abandoned FA Cup tie with Huntingdon Town.
Jamie Shaw, committee member and striker for Sleaford Town FC, said the team understands the FA’s charges.
He added that the Sleaford Town FC is also waiting for another decision, separate from the charges, on whether Saturday’s abandoned game will be replayed.
“The hearing only specifically relates to the charges,” he said.
“It is not relevant to whether we replay the game or what happens with the actual fixture.
"We haven’t heard anything more, so we are waiting to hear still from that.
“Obviously we have received the charge from the FA and had time to digest it and look through the referee and assistant referee reports, and we understand the reason why they have charged us and we will be accepting the charge.
“But we will also ask for a personal hearing so we have our case heard.
“We understand the FA need to put charge to us, but we want to move on now.
"We have got back to playing football, so it is good to put the spotlight back on that.
“We will take on any recommendation from the FA on board after the hearing.”
An FA spokesperson said: "Sleaford Town and Huntingdon Town have both been charged by The FA following their FA Cup First Round Qualifying tie on Saturday 14 September 2013.
"The charge is that both clubs failed to ensure that their players and/or officials and/or supporters conducted themselves in an orderly fashion and/or refrained from provocative and/or violent behaviour.
"Both clubs have until 24 September 2013 to respond to the charge."
Huntingdon Town were also charged by the FA following last week's "mass brawl" at Eslaforde Park.
Sleaford Town were 2-1 up in the clash when, with three minutes left, a violent melee broke out allegedly involving 20 people.
The referee then abandoned the game.