Stand by your pan to prevent cooking fires
Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Service is urging people to 'stand by your pan' while cooking following four kitchen fires in one night.
On Monday evening, firefighters were called to four separate incidents in the county which involved cooking appliances being left unattended.
The first, in Whaplode St Catherine, was caused by a chip pan being left unsupervised, and just eight minutes later crews attended a blaze in Billinghay when an oven was accidentally switched on and left, causing damage to kitchen units.
Later on in the evening, firefighters attended an incident in Wigtoft when a saucepan was was left to cook without being observed. Crews wearing breathing apparatus put the fire out using a hose reel jet but there was already severe damage to the cooker and kitchen units, as well as severe smoke damage to the kitchen and rest of the house.
The final call-out of the night was to a fire caused by an unattended saucepan in Louth.
Andy Higgins, community fire safety manager at Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue, said:
“60% of all fires in the home start in the kitchen, which is why it is so important to be careful when cooking. You should never leave your cooking unattended, as we’ve seen in yesterday's incidents – it can cause a devastating fire.
"As soon as you've finished cooking, make sure you turn off the appliances. Also, make it part of your routine before you go to bed or leave the house to double check all cookers are off. Kitchen fires can be easily prevented with a bit of common sense.
Remember, stand by your pan!"