Burning love has its dangers
LINCOLNSHIRE Fire and Rescue has issued advice to ensure the only fires this Valentine's Day will be in people's hearts.
As couples across Lincolnshire prepare for a romantic evening tomorrow, Thursday, fire prevention experts have warned that attempts at fine dining can be dangerous if the cook becomes distracted and that candles, while very romantic, could seriously spoil the mood if they set light to their surroundings.
Debbie Robinson, deputy community fire safety manager, said: "We don't want to dampen the mood, we want to make sure that the only thing that's burning is your passion, not your home.
"The number of people using candles and cooking to create a romantic atmosphere can increase, but there's no bigger turn-off than finding your house on fire."
Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue responded to 319 accidental house fires last year. More than half of these started in the kitchen and eight were caused by candles.
Residents are also being urged to ensure they have a working smoke alarm on each floor of their home.