No go for stronger barriers 'unless accidents increase'
A woman who had a car smash in her garden has been told a stronger crash barrier will not be installed near her home unless there are more accidents.
The out-of-control Volvo, driven by a 37-year-old woman with two children on board, knocked over traffic lights in Canwick Road before crashing through metal railings and a barrier into the gardens in Kingsway.
Lisa Harvey Cowley and daughter Bethany, 1, were not at home at the time but her husband Andrew had been sitting in the garden just 30 minutes earlier.
Mrs Harvey Cowley wants a stronger crash barrier put in place to prevent a similar accident from happening again.
But Lincolnshire County Council has told her that it has limited resources for road safety measures, which have to be targeted on areas where there is a track record of accidents.
Mrs Harvey Cowley told the Echo she is appalled by the council's response.
She said: "Any incident which could have resulted in death or serious injury is a vital warning sign or termed a near miss by health and safety professionals and this warning requires positive action to prevent any reoccurrence that can lead to a more serious outcome.
"Canwick Road and Canwick Hill are heavily laden daily and must be some of the busiest roads in Lincoln.
"Just because all accidents don't happen in one spot doesn't make the location any safer, that's just chance.
"For the council to suggest there is no need for a stronger barrier because there is no record of accidents is total nonsense in light of what has occurred – it shows complete insensitivity to us as innocent victims of this crash.
"A serious incident has already occurred and prevention for the future needs sorting out properly now.
"The damaged barrier section has been removed and there is no protection at all to stop vehicles leaving the road. Should they do so, there is only a flimsy hi-vis plastic barrier on the footpath to prevent pedestrians falling 9ft into our garden. Before this incident, our family felt safe in our home, spending many happy hours in our garden. Now we do not.
"Unless there is a barrier of sufficient strength to protect us and prevent cars and HGVs doing something similar in future, I will always be at unease to use our garden again."
No-one was hurt in the incident which happened at about 4pm on August 19.
Cllr Richard Davies, executive member for highways at Lincolnshire County Council, said: "I really sympathise with Mrs Harvey Cowley's concerns and I understand how frustrated she must feel.
"However, we must always base our decisions on evidence, particularly in relation to emotive subjects like road safety.
"The fact is that this accident was exceptional – we have no record of other incidents at this site.
"Our limited resources must target areas where there is a track record of accidents that cause death or serious injury. It is only by doing this that we will continue to reduce the number of road deaths that we see in Lincolnshire."